Saturday, October 3, 2009

Modern farming and me

Had a long day at work on Thursday.
When I got home I was tired and grumpy.
Tanya met me as I got out of the car and told me the guy who farms our 17 1/2 tillable acres needed a couple trees cut down since they were combining soybeans and couldn't fit the combine in the other field.

We have a 2 1/2 acre field that is separated from the rest by an old fence row.
Usually it is farmed by the farmer on that side of our property who is the father of the guy who farms the other 15. But this year the father couldn't find any government program to help him on a 2 1/2 acre plot so the son added it to the other 15.
(Rolls eyes)
I guess you can't farm unless you are part of a government program of some sort. (rolls eyes even more)
Don't get me wrong, these guys are great people. I just don't hold with the agribusiness mindset.

Anyway I had to grab the Stihl and go make a 40' hole. Yes you read that right a 40' hole. They got the planter through the existing hole in the fence row but the super duper John Deere mega combine wouldn't fit.

Now I hate dropping trees, I much prefer to cut up stuff already down. Since if you are stupid or unlucky a tree can kill you.(see my last post to see I am stupid sometimes) I really hate cutting in an old fence row since the chance of hitting wire with the saw is almost certain.

Something real handy to have is a small set of bolt cutters. Mine cost $16 and they are much better at fence cutting than the old fence pliers I have in the workshop.

I was able to get the wire off the trees I needed to cut without any problems. I was really surprised that it wasn't grown in at all. Only problem turned out to be missing a couple pieces laying in the grass that I hit when I was cutting the stump lower.

The tractor flooded when I tried to start it(more roll eyes) so I had to use the truck to drag the two trees up to the house. This was all going on as it was getting dark and the combine was running and getting closer all the time. I finally got it cleaned up and he was able to get through just at dark. So the beans are off. Lots of stress after a long day.

Newer equipment needs lots of space. I like closed in places that offer cover for small game. Some day we will be able to afford to do our own farming with smaller equipment. Right now the rent we get pays the taxes and insurance on the farm. So we will keep it up for the time being since I have almost no equipment. Although I did see this morning an older small AC combine on craigslist for $800. Anyone want to buy it for me?

Still clinging to my God and my guns,
Randy

No comments: