Monday, June 10, 2013

30 Days of Survival Day - 9 - Identify Three Edible Wild plants In Your Area

Today on day nine I want you to do some research to see what kinds of wild edibles you have in your area. Everyone can do this even apartment dwellers in the big city.

I had toyed around with posting pictures of some of the most common things in my area but that would make it too easy for you. Do some research...do an internet search...look at pictures. Part of being a serious prepper is finding information when you need it.

I went out yesterday while I was mowing and looked for plants I knew I could eat here on the farm.

Here is a very superficial list...

Plantain - I have both wide leaf and narrow leaf. Eat raw in a salad or cooked like spinach.

Dandelion - leaves, flowers and roots. Leaves raw in salad or cooked like spinach. Flowers battered and fried. Roots roasted and brewed for coffee.

Chicory - Leaves and root. Leaves raw in salad or cooked like spinach. Root roast and brewed for coffee

Clover - Leaves. Raw in salad, cooked like spinach or dried and powdered added, to extend flour.

Goldenrod - Leaves make a tasty tea.

Ground Ivy - Leaves raw for salad.

Pine - Needles make a vitamin C rich tea.

Mulberry - Fruit eaten raw, cooked or made into a juice or wine. Two of the many trees are bearing right now, and several others are loaded with fruit that will ripen over the next couple weeks.

Wild Rose - Flowers in salad or cooked in a soup.

Lambs quarters - Leaves eaten in a salad or cooked like spinach

When cooking wild greens sometimes it is good to do it with a change of water. While this will remove some vitamins it will also remove some of the bitterness. It also helps to pick the small young leaves as they will be less bitter.

As you can see there is a large variety of greens available in my yard and weed patches.
You should be able to find similar foods where you live.
Take the time and learn the skill.

Still clinging to my God and my guns,
Randy


No comments: